Holistic Health & Wellness
Introduction to Moringa
Welcome to Moringa Wisdom! By now, you may have heard something about Moringa, or, like most people in the western world, do not have any idea what moringa is all about. What is moringa? Moringa Oleifera is a plant native to India but that has been cultivated in Africa, Asia, Latin America and other subtropical regions. It is known by a few names, such as “drumstick tree”, and “horseradish tree”. It is widely called the miracle tree not only for the amazing nutritional and healing properties found in the entire plant, but also because every part of the plant can be used and consumed.
According to recent studies, moringa is by far the only plant in the world to contain more nutrition, vitamins and minerals in the leaf than any other plant.
Scientific research confirms that these humble leaves are a powerhouse of nutritional value. Gram for gram, moringa leaves contain 7 times the vitamin C in oranges, 4 times the calcium in milk, 4 times the vitamin A in carrots, 2 times the protein in milk, and 3 times the potassium in bananas.
Research conducted by the National Institute of Health claimed that Moringa oleifera possess the highest antioxidant content among various natural food sources based on an oxygen radical absorbance capacity.
Some Facts about Moringa:
- Moringa contains essential amino acids.
- Moringa is said to balance sugar levels. Therefore, it is helpful in the fight against diabetes.
- Consumed daily, moringa can boost the body’s natural defense mechanism. Since it is an immunity-stimulant, it is prescribed for AIDS afflicted patients.
- Moringa leaves can stimulate the metabolism.
- Moringa is said to have digestive powers.
- Moringa is a nutrition booster and is known to promote a feeling of well-being in people.
- Moringa is a source of non-sugar-based energy; thus, it can help with the weight loss process.
- The cell structure of the body is stimulated by the moringa leaves.
- Moringa is especially useful for lactating mothers. The consumption of moringa has shown dramatic increases in the quantity of breast milk.
- Moringa is also famous for its antibacterial properties.
- The paste of the moringa leaves is said to beautify the skin and is hence applied by women regularly.
- Moringa protects the liver and kidneys.
- Moringa can be used as a water purifier.